Bellevue: NashvilleTennessee Flood

If you do not have flood insurance, only the Federal Government can now help you.
Tennessee Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) recommends that anyone not holding a Flood Insurance Policy in the wake of the 2010 record flood in Nashville and Middle Tennessee "Document the damage to your property" as a result of flooding. This is the most important next step you can do.
In the event of Federal Disaster Relief from the Fed, Documentation is critical to prove the extent of federal aid you are entitled to for damages. 
In the wake of this historical disaster, the Governor will apply for Federal Assistance. If this application is approved, weeks to months after the initial flood, FEMA will send an Inspector to verify your claim. Things will change between now and then. 
You must document now!
"Documentation" is the key to a successful claim. 
I am a Building Inspector (TN License #40) that "Documents" the conditions of buildings on a daily basis for building owners. 

I will provide a third party Inspection Report of your property to be submitted with your claim which contains the evidence you required to be fully compensated for your losses. 
Government Inspectors will try to "adjust" your claim if evidence is not substantiated at the time of their audit. 

Be Careful Out There!

I am a former Special Agent for the DOD.
I have investigated many cases of Fraud and people that will take advantage of your situation.
Just as the termites are swarming these wet houses, there will be a flood (no pun intended) of these types of individuals come to TN along with those that actually want to help get you back on your feet. 

This is the Agency that governs Licensing in TN. 

Make sure your Inspectors & Contractors are licensed to work in this state and on your house. 

You can search the license data base at:
Select "Licence Search" on the top left sidebar. 

Department of Commerce & Insurance Resources for Flood-hit Tennesseans
Released on Tue, May 04, 2010 - 5:51 pm under Commerce and Insurance Tennessee Emergency Management Agency
Links to Divisions, Contractors, U.S. Flood Insurance Information

NASHVILLE – The Department of Commerce and Insurance, whose buildings have been shut down as a result of the historic flooding that has devastated Middle Tennessee, has set up an operations center to respond to the numerous calls and e-mails from the public. 
People with questions about insurance should call 800-342-4029 or e-mail
People with questions about consumer issues should call 800-342-8385 or e-mail
People with questions related to the Regulatory Boards should e-mail
A number of Tennesseans have questions about flood insurance. Flood insurance is overseen by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). FEMA has information on flood insurance at

Tennessee’s Board for Licensing Contractors has found that unscrupulous, unlicensed contractors like to take advantage of homeowners anxious to rebuild after disasters. Be sure to hire only licensed contractors and check them out with the Board. Consumers may verify a license status by checking the website for various trades at

The Department of Commerce and Insurance works to protect consumers while ensuring fair competition for industries and professionals who do business in Tennessee.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of having your home inspected prior making final payment on your home repairs!
Don't become a victim a second time around!

For more information, contact me at:

Submitted by DavidAndersen on Tue, 05/04/2010 - 09:37.
Syndicate content